Do I need to learn all tax codes?

This is tax season and all of us are busy with collecting necessary documents to file our taxes. Last weekend, I was browsing IRS website to see if there has been some new rule, changes to tax code etc. I remember in past reading some news on taking advantage of mortgage insurance tax deduction (correct me if I'm wrong) which happens to be a new feature this tax year.
One of my friends asked me this question. Why do you always do analysis on all the items be it purchasing a new laptop, tax filing etc? Have you ever made success on this always
Here is my opinion on what I feel about all these things. A person should neither be Jack of All trades nor master of all. When I attempt to file my taxes, if I would have spent some hours randomly browsing tax changes if any this gives e feeling of great personal satisfaction.
Before few years, we met our CPA to file taxes. Literally he could dedicate 30 mins. He prepared the data real quick. I did go over the return and brought into attention a new point that I read in some magazine. Though not intentional by mistake it was overlooked (later we found it was his interns who prepared returns :)). Immediately he made change and I saved about $150. Preparatory work though not my cup of tea did come handy. So, all I can say is that if you have some free time and have some upcoming venture, try to have simple preparation so that you are not blank when the activity starts